Lunatec fusion for bonding without any adhesive
Lunatec fusion is a global innovation in the area of expanded EVA materials which ensure a reliable, permanent bond without the additional use of adhesive.
These unique new materials bond directly with each other through thermoplastic moulding solely as a result of heat, time and pressure and fuse to create a permanent bond. The materials bond directly, without any glue or adhesive lamination.
This innovation could revolutionise everyday workshop activity and the processes of manufacturing foot beddings and insoles, because we have succeeded in developing EVA materials that can be bonded together without any adhesive at all.
The principle is simple
Lunatec fusion 30 and Lunatec fusion 40 marked the first step towards a new, contemporary way of working that allows bonding without adhesives. Later one we have added two more versions to the range with Lunatec fusion 20 and 50, so that now nothing stands in the way of a new, contemporary way of working that allows you to work without adhesive.
Now, diabetes-adapted footbeds or other demanding orthopaedic fittings can also be manufactured completely without adhesive. With Lunatec fusion in 20, 30, 40 and 50 Shore A in smooth and perforated versions, an optimal basic range is available for this purpose. In addition to offering valuable savings in terms of time and costs, this also has health and environmental benefits.
The principle of „fusing” on the basis of EVA is well known in the industry and in the world of hand-crafting, and also from hotmelt adhesives. The EVA polymer provides stability here and ensures optimum bonding.
Lunatec fusion works in a similar way: The heated materials bond together permanently under pressure during the cooling phase. The materials bond directly, without any glue or adhesive lamination. It is a kind of a self-adhesive EVA foam, but a glue doesn’t play a role, it’s the material itself that connects.
The advantages are clear:
- massive savings on time and costs
- clean, fast and healthy friendly working
- no need to apply adhesive
- no discolouration or tangible hardening
- no contamination from glue
- no long drying and waiting times
- ready for use immediately after cooling down
The manufacturing of insoles is very easy: Cut out the materials and rough it in contact areas, heat in oven at 130 °C and place all materials in one step on last and press firmly while deep drawing. After cooling down grind to shape and the insole is ready for use.
Because vulcanised EVA sheets consist of closed cells, the process works best when the material is roughened by sanding before processing. This increases the size of the surface for full-surface bonding. A similar effect is achieved by perforation, which also prevents the formation of air bubbles.
In addition to various material layers, individual blanks, e.g. for reinforcing the arch, can be positioned flexibly and bonded to each other in a single deep drawing process.
For a reliable bonding
• roughen used materials
• use a perforated material
• oven setting 130 °C and stick to these times
• make sure of sufficient pressure of the drawing bladder
• rule of thumb: heating time x 2 = ideal cooling time
With perforated materials, the heating time can be shortened by about a third as the heat spreads through the material faster.
Recommended processing times:
As a manufacturer in Germany, we assume particular responsibility for consistent quality, innovative product developments, practical diversity and the highest possible reliability and safety.
Lunatec fusion is …
- suitable for use in Class 1 medicinal products
- free of constituents posing toxicological and carcinogenic risks as specified in EU Regulation 2017/745
- SG pollutant-tested by the PFI in Pirmasens
- tested for dermatological skin compatibility by the Dermatest Institute
- free from latex and phthalates
- made solely from vegan constituents
- completely & hygienically washable and disinfectable